>Tammy Duckworth is running for Congress. I’ve never heard of her, but found her story in today’s Advertiser so inspiring! She’s a Democratic candidate in the US House, 6th District, and working to win the seat of retiring Congressman Henry Hyde. (I actually saw Congressman Hyde at Christmas Eve mass back in 1998 while visiting my relatives in Elmhurst, Il.)
Duckworth was born in Thailand and moved to Hawaii with her family when she was 16. She’s a graduate of McKinley High School and the University of Hawaii. In 2004, she co-piloted a Blackhawk helicopter that was shot down in Baghdad, and lost both her legs. That incident, hasn’t stopped her from continuing her service in the National Guard, and becoming a candidate for Congress.
If elected, she’ll be the next legislator with Hawaii ties to serve the people of Illinois. My cousins in Chicago will be happy with that!
- RT @BarackObama: "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion..." https://t.co/… 2 months ago
- RT @maddow: oh my god this is what the white house statement is about? seriously? hahahahahahaha! 9 months ago
- RT @brianschatz: This march is exactly what we all need. Thank you. 9 months ago
- RT @rozbaker: Just finished Maui women's march Awesome turnout women's rights are = rights. Mahalo to all sisters & brothers there https:/… 9 months ago
- TOTD..Ancient people, our ancestors, didn't need fancy degrees or special expertise. They relied on common sense and cause/effect logic. 9 months ago