My First Quilt

I finished my first quilt last week. Yay!

I’m not sure what inspired me to get out and buy fabric, dust off my sewing machine (after a 5 year hiatus) and piece together these cute little squares.

Image

I think my baby girl, who I’m expecting in April, played a big role in having me reunite with my sewing machine and fall in love with quilting.

One of the first things I did was find a great four-part tutorial on YouTube from Missouri Star Quilt Company on how to make a baby quilt from start to finish. As you can tell from the photo above, I decided on a pink and green theme. Choosing your fabrics can be time consuming and overwhelming, but I made it a point to have some fun in picking out the colors and designs.

After cutting my fabric into four-inch squares, I laid them out in a patchwork pattern.

ImageThen I sewed the pieces together…

Image

After sewing the pieces, I just fell in love with what I had at that point (..about 1:30 in the morning…was I tired? No…). The cutting and sewing (and lots of thinking and reviewing the YouTube video) took about 4 hours. I know that seems like a lot of time spent just to get to this point in the quilting process, but I had the energy, and I thought it was all worth it to create something pretty for my baby girl.

The next day, I got back to work on my quilt and started on the borders. I used some of the leftover green fabric to create the inside border, and a different pink fabric for the outside border. I also used this pink fabric for the bottom layer of my quilt. The completion of the borders signaled the completion of the topper!

Image

I secured the topper to the batting fabric and the bottom layer with safety pins, and got started with my stitching. Since this was my first quilt, I decided to use a stitching technique called “stitch in the ditch”.

Image

After that step, I cut out the excess material using a rotary cutter.

I think the most challenging part was creating the binding.

Although the binding doesn’t look too bad in this photo, I struggled a bit with this step. I think the challenging parts were creating the mitered corners and tucking all of the fabric and batting material into the binding.

When everything was complete, I was pretty satisfied with the final product and so proud of it. I’m really looking forward to using this quilt this Spring!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s