I woke up on Saturday morning at about 5:00 a.m. wanting to make a couple things. Both Trey and Herman were still asleep, so I quietly walked into the craft room to get started.
First thing I started on was a Boppy pillow cover. Boppy pillows are a great thing to have when you’re nursing or if you need extra support while holding baby in your arms. My first pregnancy was a C-section, so having a Boppy pillow made nursing a little more comfortable. When Trey was born, my husband bought me a Boppy pillow with a boyish cover; a blue print with cute green alligators. Since we’re having a girl in a few weeks, I decided to use some existing “girly” fabric that I had in my stash. This time, I used a grey and pink asian inspired print for the front, and a coordinating pink print for the back. Here are a few pictures:
I found the tutorial and pattern for this cover on a blog called Vanilla Joy. The pattern was simple enough to piece together and easy to understand. The pattern however, called for an invisible zipper. I had never sewed zippers before, and was pretty fearful of what the end result would look like, but it came out well! Here are a few more pictures:
It’s not quite an “invisible” zipper, but it does the job. Best part? I didn’t break a needle while sewing it on to my fabric!
And finally, here’s what the two prints look like next to each other. I believe I used a 1/4 inch seam allowance when I sewed the front and back pieces together. The cover fits the pillow perfectly!
Next project was a no-sew applique project. My son has been talking about rockets and using words such as, “mission control” or “blast off to space”, so I thought it would be cute to make him a t-shirt with a rocket applique.
Here’s what it looks like and the fabrics I used…
I found a few pictures of rocket appliques from several websites to use as examples, and drew a rocket on to a piece of paper to create a template. After creating the template pieces, I transferred them on to a piece of Heat n Bond paper, making sure to reverse the template pieces and tracing them on to the bumpy or adhesive side of the Heat n Bond paper. The next step was to iron the pieces on to the fabric, cut them out, lay them on to Trey’s shirt, and iron. That easy!
I had just finished the t-shirt when Trey woke up and walked into my craft room. After wishing him a good morning, I showed him the shirt, and his words were, “Oooh, Mommy…it’s a rocket ship!” At that moment, he tugged at his pajama shirt as if to take it off so that he could wear his new rocket ship shirt. I’m so happy that he liked it!
Some things I’d want to do the next time I work on an applique project:
First, use a more thicker shirt. For this shirt, I used a Hanes shirt that I think is more of an undershirt. We had a couple of these that we bought for his Halloween costume and for wearing under a Barong. You can’t tell from the picture, but these kinds of shirts look a bit transparent…I really didn’t like that.
Next, although this was meant to be a quick and easy project with no sewing involved, I think I’d want to try an embroidery stitch and outline the design. I’ve seen other designs where the image was outlined. It just looks more tailored. But like I said earlier, this was a fun, quick and easy project that anyone can do! Here’s a great applique tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt Company:
Okay, last project…I didn’t quite complete this on Saturday morning, but on Friday night.
I had some leftover jelly roll pieces from my Echo quilt, and I decided to use them for a cover for my 12″x16″ pillow.
Yup…another quick and easy project! I’ll probably make a few more slip covers using the rest of the left over jelly roll strips in the next few weeks!
That’s it for now. Hope you all had a great weekend!